Titanium Addiction

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

NAHBS

The next big excitement in my life starts on Thursday. I leave for the North American Handmade Bicycle Show in San Jose. For those of you who don't know, this is THE gathering of custom framebuilders in this country. There will be builders from all over this country, Canada and a couple from Europe. There will be everything from Ti to steel to bamboo to aluminum to carbon frames on display. Most of the top names will be on display - Eriksen, Sachs, Vanilla, Baylis, Potts, etc. Also in the house will be some painters (Joe Bell, Spectrum Powderworks, etc.), frame component suppliers (Paragon, Sachs, Henry James Lugs, etc.), and some more technical suppliers (Reynolds Tubing, Columbus tubing, etc.).

You're probably wondering what in the world am I doing going to such a show. Well, my life occasionally works out in my favor. I was asked to work at the show by Kent Eriksen (my favorite Ti frame builder). I thought he was kidding at first, but realized he was serious when his wife followed up by asking me again. It so happens that I make some parts for his new Sweetpost that will make its' commercial debut at the show. Here is where my life is good - thanks to all the taxpayers in this great country who will be subidizing this trip as I write it off as a business expense. Sometimes I need to pinch myself!

So, not only will I be hanging out with Kent and Katie for the weekend - a good time in and of itself, I will be checking some of the sweetest bikes ever. Oh, and Saturday morning I am going to borrow one of Kent's show bikes to ride the Sierra Road climb of the Tour of California.

This is one of those rare times when it is good to be me!

4 Comments:

  • Nice!
    Say hi to K+K for me.

    How'd you fare the end of the big dance weekend?

    By Blogger Unknown, At 9:04 PM  

  • You could have just said NAHBS. We all would have known what you meant. It's one of those "familiar" acronyms. You know how those are.

    By Blogger rachel, At 10:59 PM  

  • R-

    Not everyone is as smart as you are.

    A-

    Everyone made it to their respective evening destinations by curfew. Erin and Allie both spent the night out at friends (trustworthy parents only need apply). A good time was had by all other than me worrying and having to clean up after the dinner at my house. It's amazing to me the difference between the attitude of boys vs. girls when it comes to getting ready/presenting yourself for these things. Sooo much easier to be a boy.

    By Blogger ask, At 5:52 AM  

  • You lucky bastard I would give anything to be able to ride in California or any place where I didn't have to wear bib tights and a coat....I can't wait for this freaking winter to end..

    By Blogger sworksredace, At 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home