Titanium Addiction

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Inquiring Minds Probably Don't Want to Know

I am asked more than I care to recount what it is that i do. I have come to accept the answer of as little as posssible so that I can do what I want as much as I want is not really socially acceptable in most circles. Oddly enough, when you answer that your company runs screw machines, their are usually two responses - blank stare followed by 'Oh', or some crack about 'screw' machines with some polite giggling. It gets better when I tell them they are automatic screw machines when I get that second response.

This is a 1970 vintage screw machine:



We have a fleet of these that we use to make parts that go into automobiles, medical devices, bicycles, various types of equipment, and laboratory equipment. Additionally, we have a couple of vertical machining centers to use for secondary operations.

2004 Vertical Machining Center:



Using these machines and some others, we make parts from plastic, steel, stainless steel, brass, aluminum and some other materials.

Here are some parts that will end up on Kent Eriksen Cycles seat posts:



My wife asks me when I am going to retire, what's my plan. I have a pretty standard answer that is not always accepted. Why should I retire? I like what I do at work (ownership has its' privileges), it provides a nice lifestyle for my family (helps that Marci is an attorney), I have good employees, and I can do what I want pretty much when I want. I'm also too young to not have some place to go for the next however many years.

Life is good - health, financial security, and family!! Not necessarily in that order - and good friends.

5 Comments:

  • I forgot to ask to see the screw machine!

    By Blogger rachel, At 12:14 PM  

  • Those are by appointment only.

    By Blogger ask, At 7:34 PM  

  • Andy,
    Nice tubs o'parts (and biz talk too). Those are gonna look mighty fine atop the seatposts. I hope to see those frames this month!

    glad to see you've joined the land of MacBook users. btw, I'm using Fusion to get the ergomo to download (rather than Parallels). Liking Fusion so far. It's still beta but pretty good. Nice USB support too.

    So think you'll add the name/link to your blog ON your blog profile?

    You need to have your house 'hormone balanced' and the shower time MIGHT go down.

    By Blogger SpeedyChix, At 6:13 PM  

  • Andy I'd ask you for a job but I don't know if I could run a screw machine

    By Blogger sworksredace, At 7:47 PM  

  • I have confidence in you Tom.

    By Blogger ask, At 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home