Titanium Addiction

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Slow and Hard

Now that I have your attention - get your minds out of the gutter!! That would be my description of my ride at Brighton this morning. It was actually a lot of fun given the 17 degree temperature and blustery winds. There was about 1-2 inches of snow on the trail with very little underlying ice. It was completely rideable and I only missed a couple of small climbs where I couldn't carry any momentum into the hill. The downside of it was the constant work - no recovery whatsoever. Even slight downhills required pedaling. I ended up doing the Torn Shirt Loop twice and the Murray once. It took me almost 3 hours. My original plan was to try out a couple of different tire combinations, but once I saw the snow, I threw that idea out and just rode. I didn't think the feedback was going to be all that useful in the tire department.

I think I am having circulation problems in my hands and feet. They seem to be getting very cold more easily than I remember in the past. Even had trouble with warmers in place today.

Some day I will find people who are willing to ride with me on days like today. As Robert suggested, might be time to start a winter riding series. Maybe make it a competition - points awarded for miles, quality of miles (more points for trail rides than road rides), bonuses awarded for temperature extremes, ... I am open to suggestions.

3 Comments:

  • Sounds like a fun time. I got out for a couple hours Saturday just before sundown. Nine degrees at finish time. Super trail conditions too. A few runners and dog walkers but the bikers really missed out. The woods blocked most of the wind.

    Yeah, winter competition? Game on!

    Heated gloves on high, dbl charcoal heaters on the feet. After the first 15-20 minutes I could feel my fingers again.

    By Blogger SpeedyChix, At 8:02 PM  

  • Winter Competition...bring it!!!!

    Though I don't think that I can really play until I get home. I would have a totally unfair advantage here.

    We should all plan on doing some long rides when I get back as well. I need to start doing some 4-6 hour days and misery loves company!

    By Blogger Danielle Musto, At 11:55 PM  

  • I have a tentative format in my head. I will e-mail it out. Time put in outside of MI and OH would definitely not count - sort of like cheating. Thinking we should just play for pride this winter since we have missed some of the fun stuff, maybe put some money for malt beverages on the table for next year?

    How about Lansing for some long rides? Sort of in the middle and maybe we can talk Dennis into having some chili or hot chocolate ready for us afterwards?

    By Blogger ask, At 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home