Titanium Addiction

Friday, June 29, 2007

It's Been a Bad 8 Days

It started with one of my bikes getting ripped off last Thursday. It is still MIA and I really don't have much hope of getting it back. The insurance company is not exactly jumping over themselves to make me whole on the thing, but I am trying to be patient with them. Makes me wonder what they have been doing with my premiums for the past 15 years. I am hopeful that Kent will be able to have another frame ready for me for the Breckenridge race next month - keep your fingers crossed. All the parts are ordered....

Today was an even more tragic day for me. As has been chronicled in this forum previously, I am not overly 'tight' with the rest of my family (parents and brother). So.... I am out for a ride this morning and having an enjoyable time when I hear my cell ring. As is my custom, I dutifully ignore it until we come to a stopping point when I check to see who called. I thought I saw that it was my brother (it was my Dad), but that no voicemail was left. When I got to my office, I had a message from my Dad asking me to call him but that it was not an emergency. His voice sounded odd and he went so far as to tell me their schedule and to call him on his cell if it was after a certain time. Okay - he very rarely leaves me that much info so I am thinking lots of bad thoughts and that it is closer to an emergency than not. I finally get him on the phone and he asks me if I have spoken with my brother lately, which I hadn't (2 weeks). He then tells me that he is getting divorced and my soon to be ex-sister-in-law is moving to Rock Island, IL with my 3 nephews (where she is from). We talk about the surrounding issues and what he knows and doesn't and what I know and don't know. He then tells me that I am not supposed to know this, he was told by George (brother) that he shouldn't tell anyone.

Now I'm in a quandry. I want to call my bro right away and offer support in any way I can, but I can't violate the trust he has put in my parents. If he is going to them for support, I don't want him to stop and perhaps my ratting them out would cause that. I sit in my office and stew for an hour or so trying to come up with a reason to call him without coming out and blowing the confidence. As I am about to reach for the phone and see if he wants to play golf next week, he calls me. Phew on a very minor level. He then goes into the saga of what is going on and how it seems to be playing out so far.

It is not my life and I have no way of knowing what has been going on inside their house, but let me just say, it is going to suck for my brother and his three young boys. At this point, it looks like they will be living 8 hours away from him. Maybe their marriage wasn't meant to be, but that shouldn't mean that he is removed from their lives in such a dramatic fashion. The adults will almost always come out of these situations okay - it is the kids that are getting completely screwed. And may be screwed up in the future because of it.

I think it was in one of the Airplane movies - "I picked a bad week to quit drinking".

4 Comments:

  • That is to bad about your brother. You are right the kids are the ones who will eventually suffer in the end. Hope all works out well. Don't get me started on insurance..I could tell you some stories. I think it is the biggest rip off out there. TCF

    By Blogger sworksredace, At 2:17 PM  

  • So long as both of the parents remember to show their children their love for them above all else, the kids can come out of this ok. when parents lose sight and focus on their own problems while dragging the kids into it, things get bad. the one thing the kids should NEVER be unsure of is that both parents love them and want what is best for them.

    By Blogger rachel, At 6:22 PM  

  • Andy I don't think some of your younger readers will get that airplane reset. I remember watching that movie over and over at this neighbor kids house on LASER DISC...Google that one. They only had like 8 movies and it seemed like we watched it every friday. Good times. TC

    By Blogger sworksredace, At 9:45 PM  

  • Here's hoping the adults can be adults. Not mess with the kids and be polite/kind to each other. helps out the kids.

    Rachel has it right.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home