Titanium Addiction

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Lucy - You got some 'spainling to do!

Someone needs to explain a couple of things to me: The first are packaging, the second and much more confusing is me (yes me).

On the packaging front, why are the plastic clam shell boxes that stuff from the bakery department at the grocery store so hard to open. And why are the heat sealed packaging on all kinds of different things virtually impossible to open with great risk of personal harm. The bakery packaging is really annoying very early in the morning when everyone else in my house is asleep. It is impossible to open without making a lot of noise. The heat sealed packages, ugh! Someone must have been drinking when they came up with these. It takes more than the average pair of scissors to open them, what is the point? Is someone really going to try to remove the item from the package in the store that often to justify the cost and pain/suffering that this type of packaging brings into play?

About me, what am I thinking when I do these hundred mile races? Why do I think it is a good thing to put my body and mind through this kind of pain. I rode the Mohican 100 yesterday and it was painful! I began cramping around mile 30 and barely held on to finish in 10:13. I must have thought about calling it a day a dozen times only to convince myself that I had to finish. I am still feeling the after affects of the cramping today, sore legs/arms. What is it my brain that thinks this is a good thing? I do enjoy the sense of accomplishment, but I don't feel it at the finish line. It's not until a few days later when someone will ask me how my weekend was or have I done anything interesting lately.

The back side of the Pleasant Hill Dam, nice Hike-a-Bike:


Now for the race report. For those of you with short memories (that's me), I hated last years Mohican. It had rained almost 6 inches in the 24 hours preceding last years race and it was miserable to say the least during the race. This year dawned a beautiful morning, even though it had rained the previous afternoon, things were looking good. It was going to be a hot one, so hydration was going to be vital. Things started well enough, the 'neutral' rollout only got to about 25mph on average before the start line. The first section of single track was much better this year, actually bench cut and pretty fun. Mohican is much tougher than most hundies due to the amount of single track, and very technical at that. At about mile 30, I began to cramp up. Various leg muscles were rebelling. I thought I was taking enough endurolytes, but maybe not. It got pretty bad a couple of time, off the bike and stretching. I somehow convinced myself to keep going. The good news came on the 'flats', my speed was actually pretty good. I managed to pick a few people off along the way and wasn't putting myself further in the hole. The singletrack was a problem, the constant acceleration and movement on the bike was painful, as in very. Lots of hills and pain later, I made it to aid station 5, the last one and only 10 miles to go. Sadly, I remembered what was in store, a nasty climb of about a mile, then a mile or two of easy riding, then 3 miles of nasty single track along the Mohican River. This piece of single track is unrideable in parts by me. I don't mean maybe I could if I hadn't come 95 miles to get here, I mean unrideable. It is rocky/rooty and hanging on the edge of the river. For me, with the cramps and fear factor, it translated into a fair amount of hike-a-bike. Any slips and my cramps fired up in a big way. I got through it and then came the fun, I actually started passing people. It ends at the base of the Pleasant Hill Dam. In the last mile before the dam, I passed one guy and then at the base of the dam, passed two more. On the hike up the dam, I passed another. Once on the road, I passed another. And then on the very last section of two-track, passed another. My day was not a total loss.

Nice looking legs!


Once someone figures out these great mysteries, please give me a clue.

2 Comments:

  • Nice Job, Andy.

    The plastic stuff, is for your kids safety, not yours. Poultry shears work great.

    See you at Lumberjack.

    By Blogger anomaly, At 9:12 AM  

  • I imagine if you paid someone well, they could figure out what's wrong with you.

    In the meantime, I know when and where you can have your ass handed to you next Thursday. Let me know if you're interested. It's close and it will take a lot less than 10 hours! :)

    By Blogger rachel, At 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home