Titanium Addiction

Thursday, June 07, 2007

First time for everything

Tonight was my first road race. It was put on by the Maumee Valley Wheelman. It was a 7 mile course of which we were to do 4 laps. There was a serious wind out of the south, 20-25 mph. I think I got my money's worth, $2.

I started out thinking I would hang at the back of the front group. About 3/4 of the way through the first lap, I realized my legs weren't on the same program. I made it through turn 1 on the 2nd lap and pretty much sat up. I then settled into a nice recovery ride (what the doctor ordered for training today anyway) and proceeded into my own little world. I was caught by a group of 5-6 after about 3/4 of a lap and we started working together to some extent. I say to some extent, because some clearly did not grasp the idea of a rotating pace line. This group lasted for about a lap until a couple dropped off. Somewhere we picked up a couple more so we were 6. Of the six, 4 had a clue and two were of little to no help. As it was, it was really three of us doing most of the work. Mike/Jeff and I kept the pace going, with me pushing more than they were probably comfortable with. I tried to lay it down on the third lap with jeff and promptly dropped my chain. They were nice enough to sit up and wait for me to chase back, with the help of Mike. Jeff and I tried another time to shred the group and they managed to hang on. On the last turn with the wind headed to the finish, I decided to give it everything I had to try to get rid of the group. Mike and Jeff held on nicely and the others were dropped. I think I had it around 36-37mph for about 3/4 of a mile. With about 100 meters to go, I felt Mike come around and just let him go. I am not a sprinter, nor is it beneficial for me to become one a this point. Come cx season, I will work on it.

Bottom line - I'll be doing some more of these. Pretty entertaining. Not as entertaining as racing my mtb, but not bad.

4 Comments:

  • Andy that's the thing about road races as hard as you try to drop some guys there are always wheelsuckers that sit on you until the final spring when they go around you like they are shot out of a cannon while you are left gassed after pulling their sorry assess. That is why cross and MTB racing rules.

    By Blogger sworksredace, At 8:45 PM  

  • You are so right. Part of it is the whole thing about personal responsibility. If you can't get to the line by yourself, stop using me! They probably think society owes them something because they managed to get up that morning.

    By Blogger ask, At 5:40 AM  

  • hmmm...the part of road racing that is appealing/displeasing to some is called tactics. everyone has their strong point on the road and part of the challenge is to figure out how to use it to get to the line first.

    By Blogger rachel, At 10:45 PM  

  • Road Race?!? A Road Race? Who corrupted you? And don't worry about the sprinting.

    By Blogger anomaly, At 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home