Titanium Addiction

Friday, July 20, 2007

Day Two of the Big Adventure

Woke up early thanks to eastern standard time. Wandered around Steamboat for a bit and had a good breakfast at Winona's. Afterwards headed for Yampa Street - home of Kent Eriksen Cycles. Here is a view from about the middle of Yampa, which is one block off the main drag in Steamboat, of the local town hill. Note the 90m alpine jumps - holy smokes!



At the corner of Yampa and 12th is this lovely structure:



It is the original home of Moots Bicycles and the current home of the Orange Peel Bike Shop and Kent Eriksen Cycles. It is an interesting building to say the least. When I arrived I was greeted by this sign on the door:



Apparently Kent and Katie were sleeping in since I arrived well within operating hours. They arrived at last and the fun began. I spent the day with Kent finishing up my new bike. A few glitches along the way and it was all good in the end. Katies Mom made us sandwiches for lunch - she lives about 100 yards away in a very cool condo. Once it was built , I was itching to ride and fortunately so was Katie. We finally left the shop around 5:30 to head for their house where we would ride from. I will get pictures of the house up later.

The ride was very cool!! Started climbing very early and kept going up. Fortunately, the high altitude system I have been sleeping with seems to have worked. I was not sucking wind any more than that climb would have punished me at sea level. Great single track and jeep roads through mountain meadows and woods. An hour and a half later, we were back at their house. One small log pile incident had bent my derailleur hanger, but no other damage.

Here is the sunrise view from my room at their house:



Their house is 'off the grid', meaning only solar power. But you wouldn't know it. It is a remarkable house in an awesome location.

Tomorrow the Hampsten brothers show up, as in Andy and Steve. I am hoping to not die going for a ride with them.

5 Comments:

  • You DAWG! Sounds like a superb day. And Andy joins the party tomorrow? I just will have to settle for a ride on the KE here...

    btw, the road bike did me proud last night as I suffered for 90 min to cling to the wheel of a Ft. Wayne fastboy in some serious wind.

    Say hi to your hosts, eh?

    Have a bunch of kick butt rides! and rock that race

    By Blogger SpeedyChix, At 1:36 PM  

  • Rumor has it you have another cx bike on order!

    By Blogger ask, At 3:08 PM  

  • High altitude sleeping system????? What the heck is that ??? Another one for the books @ Rehn CO

    By Blogger sworksredace, At 7:57 PM  

  • Can't imagine WHERE you'd have heard that ; )

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:09 AM  

  • btw, you've got mail.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home